If someone had of told me I’d be a proud (if not completely dotty) Fur Baby Momma a couple of years ago, I’m pretty sure I would not have believed it. I know I used to secretly believe dotty dog owners who spent fortunes on their pups were a little odd. But, that was before I saw this face!
Before long we found ourselves stalking the dog breeders website daily and worrying if anyone had adopted him while we made plans to trek interstate to pick him up and bring him home, complete with all the must have pooch food and paraphernalia required. Within weeks we’d bought his special little car seat and toys and bed and enrolled him into Puppy Pre School.
True to his name Little Chef, we found he had a leaning towards a constantly varied diet, our boy was quite particular with what he was prepared to dine on, that was obvious.
He’d even go hungry for days rather than stick to the boring recommended vets suggestions. Something had to be done, so began the task of trawling the google and reading all the labels at the supermarket which confirmed ‘allowed’ ingredients, we knew we wanted to make him healthy homemade dog food, the challenge was now on to find Little Chef’s favourites.
Life has not been the same since, and these days it’s completely normal to buy fresh ingredients with the weekly shop to make Little Chef’s fave dishes, and despite all the hoo-hah of being particular, we’ve figured out variations of Doggy Risotto that is a winner every time.
Turkey and Vegetable Risotto
- 500 grams turkey meat, minced
- 2 cups (400g) brown rice
- 6-8 cups water (Little Chef likes a soupy risotto, so we often add more water)
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 large sticks celery, grated
- ½ sweet potato, grated
- Handful of parsley and or basil, finely chopped
- In a heavy-based pan over medium heat, add turkey mince until lightly browned.
- Stir through carrot, celery, zucchini and sweet potato until vegetables are softened.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of the water and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Continue to add remaining water (about 1/2 cup at a time). Cook, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender yet firm to the bite and the risotto is creamy. Add herbs and stir to combine.
I’d love to know, do you have a pooch pal that is particular about what he eats? If yes, please share your healthy homemade dog food recipes in the comments below.