“Anna, stop waiting for your life to be perfect!” I keep hearing these words go round and round in my thoughts!
I found myself again focusing on being out of action because of my broken ankle and wishing away the months until it’s all better! As if it is such a horrible thing having the luxury to heal properly in our beautiful seaside home; surrounded by my most favourite people, and supported by pretty much everyone I come into contact with, go figure! Shout out to Queen Suebah for helping me do life graciously and comfortably, to the Cruise Whitsunday crew and Captain Chris for wheeling me to my office door one day; even though you had a ferry full of tourists wanting to get cracking with their holidays waiting on the ferry; and of course my awesome colleagues Di, Jess, Jene and Alex, who everyday make my working world that little bit easier. Seriously guys what would I have done without you. I shudder to think!
Being forced to stop, I can literally see my life flash before my eyes each day, the concept of time and its passing have changed dramatically for me. It freaks me out, I tell ya. I have found myself slipping into my evil old ways, becoming a bit unconscious about life and just going through the paces without much feeling attached to anything just because of this silly old broken ankle. When in actual fact I should be focusing on how my slower daily routines of home and work and being down a leg has changed the way I designate the hours and minutes of my days, and how refreshing it is to loosen the slack a bit, and learn to just BE – I’m not sure if I’ve ever thought that much about “just being”. I figure this is a learned skill that I am working to master … If not master, then to give it a red hot go and make good on my late 2016 resolution to embrace life, be grateful and say YES!
Note to self: “True happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you are in now.”
Now… let’s get to this recipe!
These taco stuffed avocados are AMAZING!! I freakin love avocados, and tacos would totally make the menu for my last meal, so this is a match made in heaven for my tastebuds! I topped these bad boys with diced and spiced tomato salsa, fresh lime and coriander and shavings of parmesan cheese which really takes this dish to the next level. They are super easy to make, gluten free and you can be chowing down in around 30 minutes too. You can mix these up and add all sorts of toppings – whatever you’d normally top tacos with. So good!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
TACO STUFFED AVOCADOS
- 400 grams. ground beef (or protein of choice)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 avocados, sliced in half and pitted
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Coriander, to garnish
- Parmesan cheese, shavings
SPICED TOMATO SALSA
- 1 medium, diced tomato
- 1 small, fine diced spanish onion
- 3 tablespoons pre packaged salsa mixture
- Coriander, finely chopped
- In a bowl combine, chili powder, paprika, garlic, onion, oregano, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add oil to a pan, over high heat, add the onion and the ground beef.
- Cook until the beef is browned, stir through the spices until combined. I like to cook my meat out a little, 15-30 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes and onions, I enjoy a rustic salsa. Chop a handful of coriander and combine ingredients with prepackaged salsa.
- Halve and remove seed of avocados
- Place on plate and fill each avocado with ground beef, and top with the diced and spiced tomato salsa.
- Serve the avocado topped with shaved parmesan and fresh coriander.
I’d love to know, have you been making good with your new years resolutions?