Dinner in a snap, made from scratch! Pan fried salmon with tomatoes, asparagus, kalamata olives and vegan soy-bean linguini. It really is amazing what you can make in 20 minutes when you get creative!
I have a confession to make! I have this vision of myself swanning home after work, donning a cute and oh so pretty apron and preparing a Masterchefesque dinner that I proudly present to my adoring family. Oh no – the vision is not over yet folks, hang in with me awhile longer while we sip wine and chat about all the food, exotic destinations and fun we had that day. It’s a lovely idea huh? I’ve never been able to figure out why I play with that fantasy, perhaps it’s because I was brought up believing that canned soup and packet mixes are evil and I just can’t shake that habit!
Truth is, and more often than not, I’m ravenously hungry because I’ve skipped meals, I’m verging on hangry and if I don’t get food into me now, now, now… there could be a little acting out going on! I’m fundamentally lazy at heart when it comes to cooking, so a slight dose of maturity over the years and possibly some stern feedback from he who shall not be named many, many moons ago taught me the value of planning and preparation when it comes to home cooking on week nights.
The trick is to keep it simple friends, and not fall into a rut, keep a handy list you constantly add to and use for planning and shopping, and try to cook a few extra portions a week for the freezer. One of my go-to recipes that fit the bill is pan fried salmon with tomatoes, asparagus, kalamata olives and vegan soy-bean linguini. It’s fancy enough to satisfy the taste buds (and my fantasy) and so quick it ticks all the boxes.
I’d love to hear what some of your ‘dinner in a snap’ weekday meals are?
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 200g soy bean/black bean vegan spaghetti (I use Eco Organics, they have amazingly delicious gluten free / vegan pasta)
- 2 x 200gm boneless salmon fillet
- 1 tspn salt
- 1/4 tspn white pepper
- 2 large tomatoes quartered or 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch of asparagus, quartered
- 1 cup kalamata olives (but if you prefer another variety, use them)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced garlic
- 2 tbsp finely chopped brown shallots
- 1 tbspn finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbspn soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Chives to garnish
- Sprinkle the salmon evenly with salt and pepper, then dust with flour and shake off excess. Heat a large frying pan until very hot. Add oil then salmon pieces and pan fry for 3 minutes each side.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions until tender. Drain. Cover to keep warm.
- Remove the salmon, drain on paper towel and keep it warm. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil, add garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, asparagus, olives, rice wine, soy sauce, lemon juice and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to pan. Cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until combined.
- Serve pan fried salmon on top of pasta. A little of the sauce. Garnish with chives.